Friday, May 14, 2010

So Much to See, So Little Time

I feel like I have been so incredibly busy over the past few days I don't have time to take a deep breath, never mind recall and write out all of my incredible experiences. Nevertheless, I am taking a few minutes out of my day to update anyone who is actually still reading about my foreign adventures. You're very welcome.

On Thursday we had another pretty jam packed day. First, we visited Vino Indomita, a Chilean winery. I had never been to anything like that before and I was amazed at how my time, effort and precise care it takes just to come up with wines we know and love. If they don't check on the fermenting process and keep it within a 5 degree temperature range, all their hard work is wasted. I find it incredible that they can taste such intricacies in each different wine. This was extremely evident when we got to the wine tasting. Our guide was telling how each wine should smell and she was giving us specific details about the flavors and aromas that they should possess, like the white wine that smelled like pineapple or the red wine that had a smoky flavor. I felt like I noticed a few of those when she mentioned them, but I guess I just don't have a very perceptive or refined palate. I really did like learning how to go about tasting a wine: first you look at it in the light, then you take your first smell, then you swill it around for a while, then take your second smell because it has opened up more, and then finally taste it, making sure to swish it around a little to get your mouth used to the acidity. I think the whole process is a bit over the top, especially if I'm just having wine casually, but it is something I'm glad I know how to do now.

After the winery, we headed to the LAN Airlines hangar. This was the visit I was looking forward to the most, because I am doing my group project on the company and I have always wanted to see an airplane hangar. The planes were absolutely huge once we got close up, it took me like three different shots just to take a picture of the entire length. I really liked seeing how they were doing checks and repairs on the fuselage, wings and engines because I got to see some of the inner workings of the plane which was really cool. We also got to go on one of the planes they were doing an operational check on and I was able to go in the cockpit and check out the first class seats. Let's just say I definitely could get used to sitting in a section where the seat fully reclines to a bed. And on top of all that, our guide gave us, you guessed it, more free stuff! Overall, it was one of my favorite visits so far just because of how rare it is to see all the things were were allowed to observe and also because of all the engineering concepts that were on display.

Thursday night ended with a barbecue at Werner's house. Werner is the head of the industrial engineering department at Santa Maria and runs this program. The food was great and we got some impromptu dancing lessons where we learned so more modern, popular Chilean dances.

We finally got a chance to slow down a little bit on Friday when we went to the Rosa Agustina Resort and Spa out in the countryside. The place was incredible, there were at least four pools, a big dining hall, games to play, and free food and drinks all day long. Unfortunately, it rained the entire day. But we didn't let that stop us from having a good time. Finally, at long last, we got to play soccer. I was really excited to test out my skills with the Chileans, even though I am really rusty and out of shape, having not played any kind of competitive soccer since last summer. It was loads of fun though, and even though the rain made the basketball like court very slippery I loved getting to run around for once. I scored a couple goals, so I was happy. We also got the chance to really talk and interact with the Chilean students. I really enjoyed learning about their lives and I hope we can continue to become good friends as the trip goes on. It really is amazing that we really are very alike even though we live on opposite ends of the globe.

I can't believe that we have been here for almost a week already. I feel like I've been here forever, but at the same time it seems to have flown by. And we still have a whole other week to go yet. Which is probably a good thing because I don't think that I am quite ready to come home yet :D

No comments:

Post a Comment